Monday 22 April 2013

Saturday 20th April - Godrevy - Tehidy - Hells Mouth


Great day out photography, starting early and heading over to Godrevy in search for any seals that had come up onto the surfers beach, unfortunately early wasn't early enough as the surfers were already there and the beach and sea was full of them. Which instantly made me want to go in and join!!

As I made my way along the coast at Godrevy I spotted two small birds fly up, on closer inspection I realized they were a pair of Meadow Pipits (Anthus pratensis), the problem was that their camouflage was so good that the only time I could find them was if they flew up and land quite close, their feather pattern matched the grass perfectly meaning quite often I'd be walking around trying to find them then out of no where one would fly up from right next to me.

Meadow Pipits - Anthus pratensis

After spending some time photographing the Meadow Pipits I made my way further along the coast, spotting some Rock Pipits (Anthus petrosus) and Sand Martins (Riparia riparia) on the way. Before reaching the point facing out to the lighthouse, as I sat down watching the Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus) fly past I noticed a Grey Seal (Halichoerus grypus) pop up down below in the water and then another appeared, just looking straight up at me on top of the cliff.  From there I made my way past the bay, which is full of them and back down back to my car.

Grey Seal - Halichoerus grypus

From Godrevy I headed to Tehidy, having never been there before I didn't know what to expect, the first thing I did notice from the moment I walked out of my car was a set of large nests up in the trees, then as I get closer I started to spot a number of Rooks (Corvus frugilegus) until there must have been on in nearly every tree and on the floor. It was as if I had stepped into an eerie horror film with them all looking down at me.

Rooks - Corvus frugilegus

As I made my way around the first lake from the south car park I moved into a wooded area and up a hill towards the coast, on the way passing through some fields where I spotted a pair of Whearears (Oenanthe)  perched on the some fence posts.

Whearears - Oenanthe

From the fields I walked down to the cliffs and to some amazing views, and to top it off the Wrens (Troglodytidae) were singing on the tops of the gorse. As I made my way along the path to the North Car Park for Tehidy, I noticed a pair of Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) following me along the cliffs, with the sea behind and perched lovely on post, until I come anywhere close and they fly off.

Stonechat - Saxicola rubicola

Making my way back into the country park and back down the hill this time through the woods, I headed over the Oak Woods where I found a pair of Jays collected and eating peanuts that were scattered on the floor.

As I made my way back to the car I saw a fellow photographer and bird watcher (standing out with a huge Canon 600mm Lens) as went over to see if he had seen anything of interest, as we started to talk he suggested I headed over the to  Hells Mouth and gave me directions to it. With information of there being Kestrels (Falco tinnunculus) and a chance of a Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) I headed off.

On arrival I headed straight to the cliffs and started to spotted a number of Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus) nesting on the cliff and some Fulmars (Fulmarus) flying around, but no Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) as I made my way along the edge I started to wonder if he meant the fields behind, then suddenly one flies over and dives over the edge of the cliff, I quickly make my way over and look over the edge expecting it to be miles away but there it was just sat there looking back up at me. What a sight, I only mange to capture 2 image before she left as I was stunned for a few seconds from being so close to a wild kestrel (Falco tinnunculus).


Kestrels - Falco tinnunculus


No comments:

Post a Comment