Thursday 11 July 2013

Captive Moths

Every year me and Dad keep moths which we get from my uncle when he has too many and needs someone else to look after a few. This year we had a variety of species at the moment we have Emperor Moth (Pavonia pavonia) caterpillars which I will be photographing later in the week but back to today. I was photographing the moths that we have hatched at the moment, the Eyed Slikmoths (Antheraea polyphemus) which were sadly dead by now though this did allow me the chance to move them to where ever I want without the risk of harming them. The other was a Privet Hawk Moth (Sphinx ligustri), a UK species which hatched last weekend, these were still alive and slightly more difficult to photograph as after the first few photos he started to get agitated and started to fly around the greenhouse so i quickly put him back in his enclosure and he quickly calmed down.


Eyed Slikmoths (Antheraea polyphemus) 


Eyed Slikmoths (Antheraea polyphemus) 


Privet Hawk Moth (Sphinx ligustri)

No comments:

Post a Comment