Saturday 31 August 2013

Warnham LNR

Another great afternoon at Warnham LNR, saw more then I was expecting to find on a Saturday afternoon. The first things I found of interest was around the mill ponds, where I came across a number of species of insects including Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum), Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas), Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) and Common Blues ( Polyommatus icarus).



Common Darter - Sympetrum striolatum


After spending some time taking some images of the insects I moved on to the Heron Hide, where I saw 6 herons(Ardea cinerea), Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus), tufted ducks (Aythya fuligula) , Greylag Geese (Anser anser), a female Shoveler (Anas clypeata) and a Terapin.




Female Shoveler - Anas clypeata



Terapin

To finish my afternoon at Warnham I headed up to the top of the reserve and investigated the ride that had created there. They have also re done part of the path up there which helps accessibility to the area. It all looks great and I look forward to see some butterflies up there in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment