Thursday 5 September 2013

Red-backed shrike & Warnham LNR

I started the day with the thinking I was going to Nymans gardens then off to Warnham LNR but as I packed the car Dad called to say he has found the Red-backed shrike (Lanius collurio) and said I should go down and take some photos, being such a rare site to see in the UK I couldn't say no, hopefully this isn't the first sign of becoming a twitcher.

As I arrived at Bazehill Road, Rottingdean I traveled up as far as I could before having to park my car in a lay-by and walking the rest of the way up the hill. As I walked along the road I spotted some other photographers looking out into a field. This is when you know your in luck as chance is are they have done the hard work and found it for you, truth be told they had. So I stayed there awhile and photographed the Shrike sitting on the fence only 15 yards away.


Red-backed shrike - Lanius collurio

After photographing the Shrike I met up with my parents had some lunch and then headed off to Warnham LNR. This trip to Warnham was in search for the Kingfisher (Alcedines), although I didn't managed a great photo I got one of one a tad blurred which is shame but while waiting a Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) landed quite close and walked out in the shallows before flying off which allowed me to get a good shot of it and I was practicing on some mallards (Anas platyrhynchos) that were flapping their wings as they washed themselves.


Female Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos


Grey Heron -  Ardea cinerea

No comments:

Post a Comment